20/02/13 Poetry Competition Night
What an evening!
I don’t think we could have asked for more! There was over 20 people in attendance listening to 7 extremely good competitors and if that wasn’t enough we also had Rebecca Took, the first Poet Laureate from Solihull School, provided more entertainment by reciting some of her own work. A superb Chairwoman, Janet, masterfully controlled the evening with the addition of a few extra topics for those who were interested.
- James Browning “McAvity the Mystery Cat” by T S Eliot
- Hilary Davis “Tell me he truth about love” by W H Auden
- Roy Gibson “Is it worth it?” by Jean Miller
- David Godfrey “Extract from Fox in Socks” by Dr Seuss
- Lyndon Wall “The Magna Carter” by Marriott Edgar
- Bob Wooldridge “Shadows” by D H Lawrence
- Jayne Youdan “Reason to Return” by Jayne Youdan
Judging was conducted by Brian Cotterell and Lillian Watts. Following the interval we had a recital from Rebecca Took on some of her own work along with an additional piece from Helen Bird. Thereafter it was a showdown with thee finalists; James Browning, Hilary Davis and Lyndon Wall. Champion Poet for Sans Souci 2013 was …. James Browning!
Congratulations to James for a job well done and a huge thank you to all those who participated and supported behind the scenes, the judges, the guests and the audience. Don’t miss out on the next Club Meeting which is back to the regular format.